Documentation is indispensable in IT environment. In case of SQL Server with more than one DBA in organization, documentation is best way to avoid confusions and mistakes. At broad level following information may be documented related to SQL Server environment.
- Server name
- Physical location
- Disk Drives and configuration
- Installed memory
- Used network ports
- Base server Operating system version and service pack level
- SQL Server version and service pack level
- Database names
- Configured Maintenance plans
- Configured DTS packages
- A list of users and their permissions for databases
- A list of users and their permissions for OS
Above info may vary in organization to organization, you may modify it according to your specific IT environment and requirement. It will be valuable and helpful.