DBA may keep a defined set of practices that should be implemented daily to detect/overcome any anomaly. Following is a sketch of general daily practices for a DBA .
- Check OS Event Logs, SQL Server Logs, and Security Logs for unusual events.
- Verify that all scheduled jobs have run successfully.
- Confirm that backups have been made and successfully saved to a secure location.
- Monitor disk space to ensure your SQL Servers won’t run out of disk space.
- Throughout the day, periodically monitor performance using both System Monitor and Profiler.
- Use Enterprise Manager/Management Studio to monitor and identify blocking issues.
- Keep a log of any changes you make to servers, including documentation of any performance issues you identify and correct.
- Create SQL Server alerts to notify you of potential problems, and have them emailed to you. Take actions as needed.
- Run the SQL Server Best Practices Analyzer on each of your server’s instances on a periodic basis.
- Take some time to learn something new as a DBA to further your professional development.
Chosen from SQL Server DBA best practices By Brad M.mcGehee