DBA Best Practices for Upgrading
- Run the Upgrade Advisor before upgrading. Make any necessary changes before performing the upgrade.
- Perform a test upgrade of your test SQL Servers before you upgrade your production servers. And don’t forget to test your applications with the new version also.
- Before you upgrade, be sure you have a plan in place to fall back to in case the upgrade is problematic.
- Don’t upgrade SQL Server clusters in place. Instead, rebuild them on new hardware.
- If you upgrade from a previous version of SQL Server, you should update all of the statistics in all your databases using either UPDATE STATISTICS or sp_updatestats. This is because statistics are not automatically updated during the upgrade process.
Chosen from SQL Server DBA best practices By Brad M.mcGehee